Lost 18 kg weight in 28 days for the film Loses 18 kg in 28 days for film: Turns to sell property for 'Veer Savarkar' Randeep once drove a taxi in Australia

6 minutes agoAuthor: Ashish Tiwari, Arunima Shukla

  • Copy link

Every Monday there is a story of struggle of different people from industries. Today we will talk about actor Randeep Hooda. Randeep has been in the news for a long time now because of the film ‘Swatantrya Veer Savarkar’. However, he had to struggle a lot to complete this film. The actor lost 32 kg to play the role of Veer Savarkar.

During the production of this film, the actor had to sell his property in Mumbai. There came a time when it was time to close the film. But the actor with his intelligence did not allow this to happen. In 2018, he was cast in the film ‘Battle of Saragarhi’, but it did not materialise. Due to which he fell into depression. At this time the family members were afraid that they might do something wrong to themselves.

Randeep himself told us all these things while sitting in his office in Aram Nagar, Mumbai. The happiness of the success of the film ‘Swatantrya Veer Savarkar’ was visible on his face. After some formality our conversation started.

Read the story of Randeep Hooda’s struggle in his own words

What was your childhood like?
In reply, Randeep said- I too spent my childhood like a normal child. However, I never thought that I would become an actor. I didn’t have the slightest desire in my mind. I did my schooling from Motilal Nehru School of Sports, Haryana. Initially there was a lot of interest in sports. I have won many awards in swimming up to national level.

After some time I was introduced to the school drama group. After watching a couple of dramas, I also became interested in acting. Along with acting in dramas, also directed some dramas. But after leaving school, my relationship with acting was broken.

You graduated from Australia, what was the struggle like there?
Randeep said- Family members wanted me to become a doctor, but I was not interested in it. Then I did my graduation in Marketing from Melbourne, Australia. Actually, I also went to Melbourne on the advice of a friend. That friend said that with education you will get a good job there and everything will be first class. However, after reaching there, the truth came out.

After completing BB, I started driving a taxi because I had taken a loan during my studies. I returned to India in 2000 after working there for some time.

Randeep Hooda with parents

Randeep Hooda with parents

When did you think you wanted to be an actor?
He said- I was only fond of acting and horse riding. After much thought I decided to pursue acting and even today I follow horse riding as my passion. When I came back to India, I told my parents that I wanted to become an actor. He said – do whatever you want, don’t be a burden on us.

After this preparations started to make a name in the film industry.

How did you come to Mumbai?
Randeep said in response to this question. After getting family consent, I started modeling in Delhi. Around this time I got an offer to work in the film Monsoon Wedding (2001). Here I got a fee of 50 thousand rupees, which I don’t know where and how it ended up.

Varun Bahl, who is a very good friend of mine and is also a famous designer today, booked a flight ticket to Mumbai. When I reached Mumbai, I had only 1500 rupees. He did not have the courage to ask for money even from family members.

Here, I had no work for 4 years after the first film. Then with great difficulty I got a job in Ram Gopal Varma’s film ‘D’. The audience liked my don look in the film and this is where my acting career started.

The process of weight transformation started with the film Sarabjit. Tell me about it?
This movie was released in 2016. I lost 18 kg in 28 days for this film. I am able to gain and lose weight like this because I am a sports person. I enjoy doing this work. You watch any two of my films, the characters will not look the same. I try to find something new in every character.

Like when I played Inspector Avinash, my weight was 90-92 kg. They ate a lot. My mother was very happy about this. The story was UP based, so I acclimated myself with a Lucknow accent. Everything was done the same way.

You were in depression when ‘Battle of Saragarhi’ film was shelved, how was that time? Randeep was a part of this film directed by Rajkumar Santoshi. He had made all preparations for the shooting of the film, but the film got stalled. On that he said- I did a lot of preparations for this, but due to some reasons the film got stopped.

I have grown my beard like a Sikh for 3 years to look like a Sikh character. I once visited the Golden Temple. I vowed there that I would not cut my hair until the film reached its conclusion, but even after this the film could not be made.

This broke me inside. I went into depression. He used to lock himself in his room. It felt like someone from the house was going to cut my beard. My family members suffered a lot due to my condition. They refused to let me lock the room. They were afraid that I would do something wrong with myself.

While I was preparing for this film, I got an offer to act in Chris Hemsworth’s 2020 film ‘Extraction’. However, I refused. I sat waiting for this movie for 3 years, but it didn’t work. I had gained weight and didn’t know what to do.

In 2014, Randeep won several medals in equestrian competitions held in Mumbai and Delhi.  The special thing was that he had to face the trained cavalry of the Indian Army

In 2014, Randeep won several medals in equestrian competitions held in Mumbai and Delhi. The special thing was that he had to face the trained cavalry of the Indian Army

One day during this time he went for a horse ride for his amusement. As soon as I got on the horse I got dizzy and fell down. He fell down with such force that he injured his knee badly. Had to go to hospital immediately. Stayed in bed for 8 weeks.

There was nothing to do at this point. Only then did the writing process begin, which continues to this day. Sitting on the bed I wrote 15-20 short stories. I have also written 5-6 scripts on which I will make a film in future. I had decided that even though the Battle of Saragarhi film may not be made, I will not let it happen with the film ‘Swatantrya Veer Savarkar’.

After recovery, I also accepted the offer of film extraction.

You lost weight for the film ‘Swatantrya Veer Savarkar’, how was the weight loss journey?
Randeep said – When I started preparing for this film, my weight was 92 kg and after the transformation, I reduced to 60 kg. Earlier I was only taking water, black coffee and green tea. Then I added chilies, dark chocolate and almonds to my diet. I could not sleep due to this. He used to fall down on the sets due to weakness.

Due to which the parents were very sad. The wife was also disturbed by this. When these things became too much, I would go to a hotel and stay so they wouldn’t be too affected by my condition. It was very necessary to do this for the film, but the family members remain worried.

During the films Sarabjit and ‘Battle of Saragarhi’, my parents made me swear that I would not undergo such body transformation in future, but every time I broke this oath. This time too he has done it. Maybe this oath can be broken in the future.

Randeep lost 32 kg weight for the film Swatantrya Veer Savarkar.  He has shared this picture of losing weight on his social media account

Randeep lost 32 kg weight for the film Swatantrya Veer Savarkar. He has shared this picture of losing weight on his social media account

Did you face financial challenges while making this film?
Randeep said- Yes, there was a lot to do. I put everything I had into this project. Despite this, problems persisted. My father bought 2-3 properties in Mumbai for my future, which I sold and invested the money in films. No one supported the film, but even after this I did not stop.

What do you think about the positive response ‘Swatantrya Veer Savarkar’ is getting?
Randeep says- I am very happy about this. I am very happy to see the kind of love the film is getting. Even after so many days of release, people are clapping for the film. This is a big win for me as a filmmaker.

I didn’t know much about Veer Savarkarji when this story came to me, but when I read about him, I realized that such a noble person had been so wronged. Then I started to find out why so much went wrong with them. After knowing everything, I accepted it as my responsibility and decided that I will continue to tell Savarkarji’s truth to everyone. Meanwhile, he was ready to face all the troubles.

Perhaps because of this, all the troubles that used to be faced have come to an end today. The audience’s love for the film has worked as a balm. The love of the audience has saved me from drowning.

Randeep married actress Lynne Leshram on 29 November 2023 in Imphal, Manipur.  Both chose traditional Manipuri wedding attire for this special day.  After being in a relationship for 4 years, both of them got married

Randeep married actress Lynne Leshram on 29 November 2023 in Imphal, Manipur. Both chose traditional Manipuri wedding attire for this special day. After being in a relationship for 4 years, both of them got married

New projects?
I want to work as an actor for sometime. I was offered 3-4 biopic films, but I refused. I want to give myself some rest. After the break I will start the process of making films based on stories written by me.

Previous Post Next Post