Kunal Khemu is happy with the success of 'Madgaon Express' Kunal Khemu is happy with the success of 'Madgaon Express': said, 'Films are made with passion, not films but projects are being made in the industry'

Mumbai4 minutes agoAuthor: Ashish Tiwari

  • Copy link

Actor-turned-writer-director Kunal Khemu is very happy these days with the success of the film ‘Madgaon Express’. Kunal says that the film is still running in theaters and is getting love from the audience. I wake up every morning and thank God. This motivates us to do better in life.

During a special conversation with Divya Bhaskar, Krunal said – ‘Films are made with passion, but nowadays projects are being made in the industry, not films. Stories are being written keeping in mind the stars, while keeping in mind the story should cast a star who can do justice to the story.

Even today, your debut directorial film ‘Madgaon Express’ is being talked about a lot. how do you feel
I can’t explain it in words. I am very happy. Anyone who works hard in any task hopes that his work is appreciated. And appreciate at the same time. It often happens that old work is appreciated later. The film is still in theaters, getting love. I wake up every morning and thank God. This motivates us to do better in life.

Where did the idea of ​​making a film on this concept come from?
I have many such stories in my head. which I have written. An actor’s life has no schedule and schedule. When you are working, you will be busy throughout the year. If there is no work, you sit idle. At such times I used to try some new things. There are many things in life besides acting.

Sometimes photography, sometimes travelling, sometimes I picked up the guitar and made music. I had stories in my head so I started writing. But comedy is a dish, which you cannot serve easily. When I narrated it to my friends they liked it and then I started writing. His inspiration comes somewhere from his own life.

What was the biggest challenge when you were writing this film?
I believe that all challenges are within us. We create all the roadblocks for ourselves first. When we start walking, paths keep forming. There were so many things I didn’t know how to do. For many years I was embarrassed about how to show people what I had written. People always ask when did you start writing? First I had to overcome this shyness.

At that time there was no thought about the direction. But when the producer read the script and said you should direct. I thought people look for such opportunities, if I am getting them why not. There was also a fear that I would not be able to handle the responsibility of directing. But when you start, your team builds and gradually you gain confidence.

What were you thinking when you first narrated the script to Farhan Akhtar?
I used to think that if someone gives two-and-a-half hours for a story and I am narrating the story, I should not let him get bored. I have acting talent so I don’t want to bore you. I read the script in the style in which it was written. Farhan was very happy and agreed to produce the film.

Tell us about the casting process of the film?
I had seen Prateek Gandhi’s serial ‘Scam 1992’, I knew he was a good actor. Many times you are type cast in the industry. Prateek was fit for the film and the character. I wanted a Gujarati actor to play that character. That’s why I chose Pratik. I knew Divyandu and Avinash Tiwari as very good actors. Divyandu did comedy, but not this kind of comedy.

Your cameo in the film was amazing, where did such an idea come from?
When I was told that I want to direct a film, I thought of directing. Then it was my decision not to act in films. Writing and directing was a big responsibility in itself. I had decided that I would not act in it.

The cameo was not in the original script in the film you are talking about. Then I felt that the story needed such a character. At first I was thinking of someone else for the role, but when I couldn’t find an actor, I did it myself.

A sequel is also in demand, what did it do for that?
This will be a big responsibility for me. It will start with writing the script. People might not have high expectations from this film, but they will have high expectations from the sequel. I don’t want the enjoyment of watching the movie to be spoiled for any reason.

Any compliments that touched your heart?
Many came. Many times I became emotional. It is very difficult for you to get compliments. I got calls from people I didn’t expect. People praised the film on social media and critical reviews were also very good. As an actor I have received a lot of love from everyone. But there should be no mistake in the direction and people started saying that the acting is going well.

Soha Ali Khan has been your first audience, what appreciated her?
Sometimes I take his compliments lightly. This often happens with family members. They are also afraid that if they say something now, something will go wrong. Soha and my mother are great critics. They think it’s good, but it could be better. Soha loved the film when she first saw it. Whenever there was a movie preview, he watched it happily and then I realized that he was liking the movie. She has been my biggest supporter. Hardly anyone understands me as much as he does me.

How do you maintain your fitness?
I have nothing to do with this. This is genetic which I got from my parents. With the kind of business we have, it’s necessary to bring a little filter to life.

The most interesting thing about you is that your grandfather is a Padma Shri and Sahitya Akademi awardee, does your talent for writing come from your genetics? ​​​​​​​​​​​​​is
I feel the same way, because I didn’t learn to write anywhere. Grandfather worked for a long time and not everyone knows his name. People who are interested in literature know about Dadaji. I love it when someone says that Motilal is Khemu’s grandson.

What would you like to change in the industry?
People are making projects not films. Most people enter the industry to become actors. Some people become directors instead of actors. Very few people come to be producers. When being a producer is more important.

Until the number of producers increases, no more films will be made. Only when more films are made will new talents get a chance. It started in OTT. New talent was getting a chance. Now there too only big people are getting a chance. Now even in OTT, things are being said that the business is not what it used to be.

Do you feel that the industry has yet to utilize you as an actor?
I totally agree with you on this. Personally, I always feel this way. I’ve heard the same things from the outside, people have been saying for years. If I and the audience feel this way, then I think if we are not getting opportunities then we should create opportunities for ourselves.

When I was promoting the film, I remembered what my mother had said. As a child, when my mother used to cook food and I didn’t like it, my mother used to say that if you don’t like to eat, learn to cook. That lesson is left somewhere inside. If you are not happy with the opportunities you are getting, create new opportunities for yourself.

When you were working as an actor, there was a lot of pressure in the market, but now with the advent of OTT, a lot has changed and now the audience has also changed, what do you want to say?
I have always believed that it is very easy to make a hero a villain. We often see this in movies. But in real life it does not happen at all that a person wants to work as soon as he wakes up in the morning. But circumstances are such that we have to do such work. Films are made with passion, but we are making projects.

The project looks good on paper, but the story is not well written. The story is being written with the star in mind. While keeping the story in mind such a star should be casted who can do justice to the story.

Previous Post Next Post